In our infamous Poster Dissections, we break down the anatomy of a movie poster for all you 9th grade biology/film students out there. Today, we’re looking at the poster for James Cameron’s upcoming Avatar:
- I guess this sounds a bit better than “From the director who stopped making real movies after Titanic, and instead fashioned bizarrely boring ‘documentaries’ about underwater aliens.”
- Star acne! Because even aliens go through puberty.
- Big puffy Angelina Jolie lips means that even though this lady is blue, she’s still worthy of a celebrity centerfold in People magazine.
- Aaaaand, ladies and gentlemen, the Papyrus font. Since this film was made for approximately a billion million dollars, couldn’t it afford something more unique than one of the most overused fonts in history?
- This poster doesn’t really tell you much of anything, does it? A half a blue face, star acne, and a black background. This could be “Smurfs: The Movie” for all I know.
- I do like that the bottom is “clean” — without all that smushed-up list of credits. Just a website and studio icons. Nice.